Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Farewell to another year level

Yes folks, it is that time of year - the time when I farewell another group of Year 12 students.

For almost 10 years, I have had the privilege of being able to be a part of the lives of countless students but having the privilege of teaching Year 12 students is that extra bit special.

yeah you form bonds with most students who cross your path but for some reason by the time they reach Yr 12, something in the relationship changes. Yes the fact that they have matured from the festy, pesky grade 8 and 9's they used to be helps. Now instead of correcting their every move, you can sit and hold a decent converstaion with them, you can listen to their hopes and dreams. And if you are really lucky, you might just be one person who leads them down the path towards achieving that dream.

At the school where i work, we have a valedictory ceremony where each of the yr 12 graduates is farewelled individually. They are given an opportunity to thank people in their lives who have helped them get through their school life and while I am not in this job for the thanks, knowing that students do appreciate the job you do, makes this day all the more special. Sometimes I cannot understand why they thank me - after all, I am just doing my job.

So to those yr 12's - and you know who you are - thanks for being you. Stay true to yourselves and to your dreams. Be everything you want to be .... and more. Go into this world and touch the life of someone like you have touched mine. To my two extra special students - P and A - never let anyone tell you that you are worthless or that you are good enough because you are. The courage that you two have amazes me each and every day and one day, I hope to be as courageous as you.

Stay safe, live life and come back and visit me once in a while.

hemmdawg (just had to do that for you hehehehehe) xoxoxo

No comments: