Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's almost over for another year

....... my birthday that is.

32 today - where have all the years gone. I remember when I was like 13 or 14 I thought that 30 was old and here I am, 32 already.
I had an awesome day today. I realised today that it isn't about the big ticket stuff, it is about all the little things that make a birthday special - simple things like party pies and party sausage rolls on the pool deck. Things like a smile, a touch of the hand, a look. Yeah getting presents are great - don;t get me wrong, I am a girl who looooooooooooooooooooooves her presents but today was something more. I don't have pics to share - for me, it wasn't about pictures, it was about something more, something that a picture would never be able to tell.

So here I am, 11 minutes (according to the computer clock) before the end of MY day - 32 and loving life.

And before I go, here are 32 random facts about me:

1. I am the baby of two babies - that is both of my parents were the youngest in their families.
2. I grew up less than 10 kms from my husband but never knew he existed despite the fact that I went to school for 3 years with one of his brothers - lol guess a 7+ year age gap will do that to you.
3. I wanted to be a teacher since Grade One - never changed my mind all throughout school.
4. As a child, my older brother and sister would grab clumps of grass and chase me with it calling out 'dead chicken' and for many years I believed what they were saying.
5. I grew up in the house my great-grandfather built for my grandfather and grandmother when they were married.
6. I only clearly remember one of my grandmothers - mum's mother. Dad's mother passed away when I was 4 and I only have vague memories of her. Sadly I never knew either of my grandfathers.
7. I grew up on a farm surrounded by cattle, yet they were my biggest fear.
8. My mum took me to the first day of school EVERY year from preschool UNTIL Yr 12 ... and trust me, I was heartbroken when she said that I could get myself to school on the bus that day.
9. I shared a room with my sister until I was 10 and she was 15.
10. I sometimes talk in my sleep.
11. When I am super, super tired, I snore really badly :O
12. I used to swim competitively for over 10 years.
13. Following on from the above - I used to train twice a day, 3 times a week and once a day, 2 times a week, swimming an average of 4kms each session.
14. I used to ride my push bike into town (almost 20kms from the farm into town) on a regular basis.
15. I was a year ahead of myself at school - not because I am super bright but because mum and dad started me early with the intention of keeping me back but they never did lol.
16. Following on from above, I was 16 when I graduated from high school.
17. I pranged my parents car (which they had only had for 6 weeks) when I was 17 because I was perving on a cute guy on the footpath instead of watching the traffic lights.
18. I have since gone onto have accidents - all minor thankfully - in all of the cars I have owned, although I would like to point out some were not my fault - kangaroos and cars do not mix lol.
19. Watching reality tv is one of my biggest weaknesses - love most reality shows, although i DETESTED Big Brother with a passion.
20. In Grade 11 and 12, I refused to listen to any music that wasn't country music - yep I was a HUGE garth brooks fan.
21. I married Tony just a few months after turning 21.
22. I didn't enjoy university all that much - but loving the life it gave me.
23. The first dog that was ALL mine was called Mauchy (pronounced Mokey) and was devastated after he had to be put down because he attacked the neighbour's sheep.
24. Despite growing up on a farm surrounded by animals, when I got my first cat, I believed the store when they said it was a girl so I called her Abby. When she turned out to be a he, we changed his name to Charlie Brown .. and he is sitting right beside me as I type this.
25. I love reading trashy novels by Danielle Steele - mainly because I don't have to think while reading them. Sad I know, not the sort of thing an English teacher should admit.
26. I hate having photos of myself taken, yet I am obsessed with photography.
27. I met my two bestest friends online and I am so lucky to have them in my life.
28. I have a tendency to cry too easily. It is the first thing that happens when I get emotional.
29. I always said that I was never going marry someone like my father - bald, stubborn and a farmer - I did all three; go figure.
30. I refused to let anyone take pictures of my when I was pregnant with Mitchell or Lachlan ... and don't I regret it now lol.
31. I eat waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much chocolate and drink even waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy more coke zero.
32. I think I am finally becoming comfortable with who I am and am slowly working towards the person I would love to become.

Well the clock is reading 12.15am so that means my birthday is over :(. Oh well, another will roll around next year no doubt.
Take care
S xoxoxo

1 comment:

s4j said...

Awwwww #27 gave me goose bumps...mwah