Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Masters Layouts

It's hard to believe that it has been just over 6 months since I received a phone call from Vanessa Cavasinni, editor of Scrapbooking Memories magazine informing me that I had been selected as one of the 2014 Masters. Even though I had contemplated entering in previous years, this was the first time that I had actually completed the challenges.  I still pinch myself from time to time because it doesn't seem quite real.
Here are my takes on the challenges:
Challenge One: Scrap a single page layout using a 5x7 photo that has eye contact. 
Even though this photo of the boys is a few years old now, I still love it. The inspiration for the title comes from one of my favourite film, 'The Sum of Us' starring Jack Thompson and Russell Crowe. 


Challenge Two: scrap a layout using at least one non-conventional (non-papercraft) item.
This is the challenge which finally sold me on actually submitting an entry. When I was planning my layouts initially, I wanted to use this photo of Lachlan as my entry for Challenge One - it is one of my favourite photos of all time.  However, a pair of goggles proved my undoing for that layout and my inspiration for this layout. I decided to go all the way with the swimming theme using one of Lachie's swimming caps, a strap from an old pair of goggles and the tag of a pair of his training togs because of the funny 'usage instructions' provided by the company. To top it off, I placed the layout on a 12x12 piece of bubble wrap which I painted blue to mimic the water. 
Love, love LOVE this photo:
Not sure how clear it will be, but if you have great eyes, check out the tag ;)

Challenge Three: Scrap a layout where the journalling is the focus of the page.
This is a story that I have been wanting to tell for a long time, but I always felt like I couldn't do it justice. I created this layout to honour my maternal grandmother. Both of my grandfathers passed away long before I was born, and my paternal grandmother died when I was four so to say this lady was special to me is an understatement.  Like many things, I never really appreciated Grandma until it was too late and I would give anything to have another day with her, thus giving me the inspiration for the layout. I created the background by opening a blank canvas in Photoshop. From here I typed the phrase 'If I could have just one more day...' across the entire canvas.The photo I used was taken on the last birthday Grandma had before entering full time care. The quality of the photo wasn't that great and I didn't have access to the original so I converted to black and white, and created a collage using the same photo.  Even though I don't love my handwriting, I was determined to write the journalling in memory of the letters that Grandma used to write to me when I was a child.  Each idea starts with the phrase 'If I could have just one more day' and lists what I would do if I could have just one more day with this amazing lady. I love the simplicity of this layout.

And some close-ups: 
My journalling: 
Challenge Four: Create the cover of an art journal which best reflects your scrapbooking style.
Hmmmmmmmmm art journalling is not a phrase that enters my scrapping vocabulary. I love to watch people do it but it isn't something which holds any appeal to me. This was a tough, tough challenge. In the end, I decided to stick with what I know best - simple. Once the decision was made, the cover came together fairly easily using one of my favourite colour combinations and embellishments.
So there you go - four little projects that made my day way back in September.
S xoxoxo

No comments: